Exactly one week from today, at the 2021 Catholic Writers Guild (CWG) Conference, I'll be moderating a panel of four authors discussing self-publishing: Carolyn Astfalk, Sara Harris, Annie Harton, and Leslea Wahl. Here are several resources for that presentation. I'll include any additional ones mentioned at the conference later.
I'll be discussing "The Pleasures and Perils of Writing Historical Fiction" at the 2021 Catholic Writers Guild online conference. Here are the resources I'll be sharing, along with links where available.
- Medieval Underpants and Other Blunders: A Writer's (& Editor's) Guide to Keeping Historical Fiction Free of Common Anachronisms, Errors, & Myths by Susanne Alleyn. For more about this book, and to read the first chapter, see this page.
- Writing Historical Fiction by Rhona Martin
- Once Upon a Time It Was Now: The Art and Craft of Writing Historical Fiction by James Alexander Thom
- Turning Life into Fiction by Robin Hemley
- The unabridged research bibliography from Medieval Underpants and Other Blunders containing hundreds of reference titles of interest to writers of historical fiction
- Project Gutenberg containing full text of many out-of-print books
- Google Books
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Social Security Administration name database
- Newspaper and magazine archives (check your local library)
- How to Write History.com
- "Day in the Life Method of Writing Historical Novels" by Juliet Waldron
- Historical Novel Society
Additional articles of interest:
- "How to Write Historical Fiction: 7 Tips on Accuracy and Authenticity" by Susanna Calkins
- "6 Keys to Writing a Compelling Historical Novel" by Sofia Grant
- "5 Historical Fiction Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them" by Margo Dill
- "Tips To Create Unforgettable Historical Fiction" by Ashley Hope Pérez
If you have a questions about my presentation, feel free to post it as a comment below or email me through my contact page.
Monday, Sept. 30, 2020 will mark the third anniversary of the original release of Playing by Heart! To celebrate, I'm giving away an autographed copy of that original edition. In Spring 2018, Vinspire Publishing, released a new edition with an updated back cover that includes images of some of the awards the novel has received. But the copy I'll be giving away has the original back cover. See below for instructions on entering the giveaway. Note: the giveaway begins Sept. 9 and ends Sept. 30, 2020.
In case you're not familiar with Playing by Heart, here's a brief summary:
Emilia Salvini dreams of marrying a man who loves music as she does. But in 18th-century Milan, being the 'second sister' means she'll likely be sent to a convent instead. Emilia's only hope is to prove her musical talents crucial to her father's quest for nobility. First, though, she must win over her music tutor, who disdains her simply for being a girl. Too late, Emilia realizes that her success could threaten not only her dreams for her future but her sister's very life.
Playing by Heart was inspired by two amazing 18th-century sisters who were far ahead of their time: composer Maria Teresa Agnesi and mathematician Maria Gaetana Agnesi. You can read more about the real sisters on this website I created.
Playing by Heart has received numerous awards, including the Catholic Arts and Letters Award, the Independent Author Network Book of the Year Award for Outstanding Young Adult Fiction, and a Moonbeam Children's Book Awards Gold Medal for Young Adult Historical. The novel has also garnered over 55 reviews on Amazon, with an overall rating of 4.9 out 5 stars! To read more about the novel, including review excerpts, see this page.
Use the Rafflecopter widget below to enter 1, 2, or all 3 ways:
- You MUST subscribe to my Creativity Newsletter to enter. (This option gives you 2 entries!)
New subscribers: go to this page and subscribe to the newsletter BEFORE you enter your email address in the first option of the widget below. Then watch for an email to confirm your subscription. After you click the link in that email, you'll have the opportunity to download a free thank you gift.
Current subscribers: simply enter your subscription email address in the first option of the widget below.
- Share a link to this blog post on your own blog or Facebook page and provide the URL of your post in the Rafflecopter widget below.
- Tweet about the giveaway using #PlayingbyHeart and tag @carmelamartino (my Twitter handle). Please provide the URL of your tweet in the Rafflecopter widget below.
If you have any problems entering, email me via the Contact page. Contest is open Sept. 9 through Sept. 30, 2020. Winners will be notified via email.
Open to U.S. residents 18 years of age and over. Good luck!