I'll be discussing "The Pleasures and Perils of Writing Historical Fiction" at the Fountaindale Public Library this evening.
Below are the resources I'll be sharing, along with links to additional articles of interest.
- Medieval Underpants and Other Blunders: A Writer's (& Editor's) Guide to Keeping Historical Fiction Free of Common Anachronisms, Errors, & Myths by Susanne Alleyn
- Writing Historical Fiction by Rhona Martin
- Once Upon a Time It Was Now: The Art and Craft of Writing Historical Fiction by James Alexander Thom
- Turning Life into Fiction by Robin Hemley
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Social Security Administration name database
- Newspaper and magazine archives (check your local library)
- How to Write History.com
- "Day in the Life Method of Writing Historical Novels" by Juliet Waldron
- Historical Novel Society
Additional articles of interest:
- "How to Write Historical Fiction: 7 Tips on Accuracy and Authenticity" by Susanna Calkins
- "6 Keys to Writing a Compelling Historical Novel" by Sofia Grant
- "5 Historical Fiction Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them" by Margo Dill
- "Tips To Create Unforgettable Historical Fiction" by Ashley Hope Pérez
If you have a questions about my presentation, feel free to post it as a comment below or email me through my contact page.